The UC Managing Implicit Bias Series is a series of six eCourses designed to increase awareness of implicit bias and reduce its impact at the University. The program further reinforces the University’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
The Managing Implicit Bias Certificate contains the following six self-paced, online interactive courses:
- What is Implicit Bias?
- The Impact of Implicit Bias
- Managing the Influence of Implicit Bias – Awareness
- Common Forms of Bias
- Managing the Impact of Implicit Bias – Mindfulness and Conscious De-Biasing
- Managing Implicit Bias in the Hiring Process
Those who complete all six courses will receive a certificate in Managing Implicit Bias and their coursework will count towards completion of the UC People Management Series and Certificate.
The Hiring for Success training is part of the UC Systemwide People Management Series and is geared for hiring managers and supervisors that recruit for staff openings. Key outcomes from this training include:
- Learning how to begin the talent acquisition process and ensuring an effective interview strategy
- Understanding the importance of diversity in the talent acquisition process
- Ensuring a positive candidate interview experience
- Effectively completing the process
Hiring is one of the most important processes any organization undertakes. It addresses present needs, builds for future success and represents one of the most tangible opportunities an organization has to reinforce a culture and community reflective of its values. It is critical that hiring be equitable, effective and fully compliant with relevant laws, regulations, policies and internal expectations.
The Search Advisory and Hiring Committee Best Practices training eCourse will help participants identify and review:
- Federal and state laws and UC policies and procedures that govern hiring practices
- Strategies and techniques for ensuring equity through identification and management of biases that may influence search or hiring processes
- The important roles committee chairs and individual committee members play in making a successful hire
This training is relevant and recommended for any individuals or committees engaged in search advisory and/or hiring functions.
Talent management starts with hiring the right person for the job. Applicant screening takes a lot of work, and much of this work is done prior to the actual interview. This course covers how to create a job description, which will help you evaluate an applicant's resumé effectively. You'll learn key techniques for screening resumés based on job requirements, as well as how to identify red flag issues in resumés and how to approach them. These techniques will help you recruit, and hire, the best people.